Most companies today have a website or some other form of online presence (like a social media account) for their business; so should law firms. Now that everything’s just a Google away, a website is your firm’s calling card online. Sadly there are a number of law firms, especially smaller ones, that don’t have a website yet. If you’re one of those firms, it’s time to be present online.
Having a great website is a business necessity. It sets your firm apart from the competition and invites visitors to take the next step -- contacting your firm.
Still unconvinced? Here are some statistics that will show you the value of a great website.
Half of the world uses the Internet; in the US, usage is even higher
As of 2017, more than 50% of the world’s population is able to use the Internet. In the U.S., 88% of the American population are Internet users. Most of your potential clients are already online. If you’re in the same space as they are, it makes it easier for them to find you.
eCommerce is growing
A 2017 study showed that 75% of the respondents searched online for a product or service to buy and 67% reported eventually doing so. Online marketing works, and it starts with having a functioning website in place.
Online marketing is the way to go for legal firms
A study combining the facts gathered by FindLaw and Google data showed the following legal marketing trends, especially regarding online and mobile searches:
- 74% of prospects beginning a search online end up contacting the office via phone. (FindLaw U.S. Consumer Legal Needs Survey 2014)
- 87% of people who contact an attorney go on to hire an attorney and 72% of them only contact one attorney. (FindLaw U.S. Consumer Legal Needs Survey 2014)
- 74% of consumers visit a law firm’s website to take action. (Google Legal Services Study Sept 2013)
- 69% of internet users use both a smartphone and a PC for research. (Google Legal Services Study Sept 2013)
- 31% of all law-firm-related website traffic comes through mobile search (FindLaw Aggregated Hosted Site Data 2014)
As early as 2014, experts have noted that the “legal industry is well into the age of digital marketing, and online marketing resources have become essential tools for firms of all sizes and areas of practice.”
Mobile Internet usage is on the rise
More people are using smartphones to access the Internet. As of February 2017, 49.7 percent of web page views were through mobile devices. And as of January 2018, there were 3.7 billion unique users of mobile phones worldwide. This means that more people are able to access your website whenever, wherever.
The numbers all point to the same conclusion: Your law firm needs a great website. So how do you make one?
Your website should excel in both form and content, specifically in the following: design, usability, content, and traffic.
- Your website should look great, leading off with a captivating home page.
- It is visually pleasing, with readable fonts and high-quality photos, videos, illustrations, and infographics.
- It brands your company with logos and consistent coloring.
Excellent UX (user experience)
- Your website is user-friendly; easy to navigate.
- Menus, tabs, and the like are easy to find.
- There’s a natural flow to the website’s content.
- Your website’s design must have a mobile-friendly version that takes into consideration the smaller-sized screens of smartphones.
- Smart use of banners that captivate or hook your reader.
- Content should be original and useful.
- The writing style is consistent in its tone and voice, reflecting your firm’s brand personality.
- Your content should clearly point out your brand’s unique selling point, to make your firm stand out from your competitors.
Optimized for Traffic
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM) -- Both aim to improve your website’s ranking in various search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. With SEO it’s free traffic; with SEM it’s paid traffic.
- Content is written with keywords that help generate traffic.
- Strategic use of links on your website.
Your website is a powerful marketing tool that can drive business to your firm. But creating and maintaining a website is no easy task. There are many variables to consider in order to come up with a site that clearly communicates what you can offer to potential customers. Legal Imaging has been at the forefront of assisting law firms in and around Mobile, Alabama, to improve their efficiencies and increase their productivity. If you want us to make you a great website or enhance your existing one, contact our experts today, and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.